Dr. Jan Frohloff LL.M.
Dr Jan Frohloff is Counsel at SRP. He represents clients before international arbitration tribunals and in German courts. The clients that Dr Frohloff advises and represents in these disputes are from the space industry, aviation industry, telecommunications industry and from the private equity sector. Dr Frohloff regularly publishes on international arbitration and space disputes and is regularly invited to talks, interviews and panel discussions on these topics. He is a member of the board of the Space Arbitration Association and the editor-in-chief of its blog.
Education and career
Dr Frohloff is a graduate from Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz School of Law. As part of his doctorate (equivalent to PhD/SJD) he completed research stays at New York University School of Law and the Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law in Hamburg. He completed his Master of Laws at King’s College London and used his legal traineeship to further expand his focus on international arbitration at a major international law firm in Frankfurt/Main and in the San Francisco office of this law firm. After two stints as associate in major international law firms, he joined SRP in 2022.
- “Chapter 2: Orbiting Human Built Object – Managing and Resolving Satellite Disputes” (together with Laura Zielinski). Global Arbitration Review Guide to Aviation and Space Disputes: Edition 1, 2023 (upcoming).
- “Per arbitrum ad astra“. Journal of International Arbitration, Volume 37, Issue 6, 2020, 721-730.
- “The Applicable Law to Collisions in Outer Space“. Rabels Zeitschrift für ausländisches und internationales Privatrecht (RabelsZ), Volume 84, Issue 3, 2020, 593-614.
- “Collisions of Artificial Satellites: The Liability of States and Private Entities“. Air and Space Law, Volume 45, Issue 3, 2020, 341-358.
- “Arbitration in Space Disputes“. Arbitration International, Volume 35, Issue 3, September 2019, 309-329. Arbitration International’s number one most read article for two months straight. Selected by Oxford University Press for the article collection “The Promise of International Law“.
- “The Advance on Costs in Investment Arbitration” (together with Dr Markus Altenkirch). ICSID Review – Foreign Investment Law Journal, Volume 33, Issue 3, Fall 2018, 723-735.
- “Breach of Arbitration Agreements”. Mohr Siebeck, Publications on Procedural Law, Vol. 141, Tübingen 2017.
- “Damages Claims after Interim Measures in Arbitration Proceedings” (together with Prof. Dr. Jörg Risse). Zeitschrift für Schiedsverfahrensrecht (SchiedsVZ) 2011, 239-248.
Talks / Interviews / Panel Discussions (Selection)
- “21st Century Space Disputes: What Makes Them Unique? What Challenges Await?”. New York Arbitration Week, 14 November 2023. Moderator.
- “A Fire Debate: Are Commercial Courts the Better Choice in Emergency Cases?”. DIS40 Autumn Conference, 15 September 2023. Panelist.
- “Space Law and Arbitration“. World Arbitration Update, 29 September 2022. Panelist.
- “Episode 09: Arbitration in Space“. #future – The Arbitration Podcast, 18 May 2022. Interview guest.
- “Space Arbitration – Solving Disputes Over Satellites and More. Paris Arbitration Week, 29 March 2022. Speaker and panelist.
- “Space Disputes: Phantom Menace or Return of Justice? – 33 Minutes with Dr Jan Frohloff“. Space Café WebTalk, 1 February 2022. Interview guest.
- “Does Outer Space Need Arbitration?“. Online panel discussion of the Space Arbitration Association, 13 January 2022. Speaker and panelist.